Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Domination Goes Mainstream


I was listening to a football game in the car the other day when I heard a commercial that caught my attention. The commercial was for the Fox cartoon lineup (Simpsons, Family Guy, etc). It began with a woman speaking in a sultry voice saying, "I know you want to be dominated." She continues, "It feels so good to submit." At the end of the conversation, the voice says something about the safe word being animation (I think that is what it was, but I was so shocked by this commercial, I may have heard the wrong safe word!)

I love when I hear things like this. I like that others are becoming familiar with BDSM. Even though many of the references to BDSM are silly or over the top, I do think that it increases awareness and acceptance of people who love differently, as we do. While considering this post, I came across a great website, Welcome to Master Kelly.com, which gives examples of tv references to BDSM presently as well as historically. It is an impressive list, and while I was aware of some of the references, quite a few were new to me. He breaks the list up by decades, going back as far as the 60's! Definitely worth checking out!

4 comments:

  1. I love that commercial too! It makes me smile every time I hear it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good part in an episode...and their safety word is "Banana" haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! That's great! :-) I also love references to female dominance in mainstream media. Have you seen the "Pistachio Dominatrix" ad yet? It's absolutely brilliant! The woman in the ad is Isabella Sinclair, a well known and highly regarded dominatrix who works out of L.A. I tried to copy and paste the link here but for some reason that doesn't work. I have a link to the ad in my blog post entitled; "Having Your Nuts Whipped!" ;-)

    Best

    hmp

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's why I watch Family Guy!!! Love how they use jumper cables *wink*

    EE

    ReplyDelete