Sunday, August 23, 2009

On Romance

Ask fifty different people to define romance and you will surely get fifty different answers. Merriam-Webster defines the verb romance as "to try to influence or curry favor with especially by lavishing personal attention, gifts, or flattery". I'm not sure how much I like that definition, since I feel that romance should be used to express love, and not to try to influence someone's behavior.

This morning, j posted on his blog Serving My Mistress about romance (or the lack thereof) in our relationship. he is correct that I expect more from him in this area.

The truth is, I know j loves me deeply and passionately. I know our love transcends Dominance and submission. I don't need j to behave in a romantic manner in order to prove his love for me. But I expect that he will occasionally demonstrate his love in the form of a surprise date, thoughtful note or a small gift - without me explicitly asking him to do these things.

Don't get me wrong- j spoils me in many ways. he is always rubbing my back, running his fingers through my hair, and helping me in any way I request. I wish he would realize that romance need not be contrived or laborious. Simple expressions of love would go far!

No comments:

Post a Comment